With Destination Travel your travel dollar goes much farther. For the trip of a lifetime, we invite you to make Petersburg, Alaska, your destination.
Why come to Petersburg?
- With twice-a-day jet service (Alaska Airlines), and ferry dockings five days each week (Alaska Marine Highway, including the fast-ferry twice a week, and Interisland Ferry), our island community is very accessible.
- Lodging in Petersburg is very reasonable compared to most other places in Alaska, with a wide variety of accommodations, from a hostel, to hotel rooms, B&Bs and guest houses—surprising for such a small community!
- Many of the reasons people come to Alaska are available right here, on Mitkof Island and in the surrounding area. From Petersburg you can experience all these things…
- the beautiful coast mountain range with its glaciers, bays, and rivers
- accessible forest trails and streams in the heart of the Tongass National Forest
- world-class whale watching, as well as other marine mammals
- safe waterways for small boats and quiet bays for kayaking
- opportunities for sport fishing for halibut, salmon and other species
- land-based wildlife viewing such as birding and bear viewing
- You can fully experience the everyday life in a hard-working commercial fishing community with friendly, helpful residents.
- Unique, locally owned and operated businesses feature quality merchandise, including local and Alaskan art, authentic Scandinavian gifts, and many other items designed to make your travels comfortable and memorable.
- Staying in one location is more relaxing and efficient.
- Avoid the large cruise ship crowds.
- Fresh seafood is readily available for snacks, picnic lunches, and other meals.
Because there is so much to do in the Petersburg/Mitkof Island area, the following itineraries are packed with activities. As you plan your personal itinerary, you might want to schedule additional time to sit and relax, and enjoy our beautiful scenery. Just being in Petersburg tends to make you want to slow down and blend into our island lifestyle. Maybe you should plan to stay a little longer!
This is a generic guide, and you will need to contact the individual Petersburg businesses or travel agent (on our businesses page) for rates and reservations. You can mix and match any of the activities listed in the following four itineraries or include additional days to suit your personal preference. Be sure to look over all of the itineraries so you have an idea of the many possibilities. Transportation to and from Petersburg is not included in approximate total costs.