Petersburg, Borough of

Steve Giesbrecht

Alaska’s Little Norway was founded more than 100 years ago by Norwegian fishermen. Petersburg was named after Peter Buschmann, a Norwegian immigrant who arrived in the late 1890s and homesteaded on the north end of Mitkof Island. He built a cannery, a sawmill and a dock between 1890 and 1900. His family’s homesteads grew into Petersburg, which was populated largely by people of Scandinavian origin. The cannery has operated continuously since its completion. Petersburg is now one of Alaska’s major fishing communities. Borough Government Office

South Nordic Drive 12
Petersburg 99833 AK US
Get directions
Mon-Fri 8am-5pm